20 Mayıs 2014 Salı

Journal Entry 8



This morning I woke up early and walked to the park that was by my house. I laid down in the grass, spread my arms out, and watched the sun slowly melt into the sky and illuminate the trees. I watched it seep in through the leaves and create a green twilight, framing the young women walking their baby carriages and the men hurrying off to work. I turned my head sideways and watched the ants desperately try to climb and conquer the grass, wondering what I looked like from their perspective. It gave me time to think, laying there and soaking in the calmness of the morning. I thought again about my mother, how she would feel if she saw me happy and in love, lying on the floor. She would be happy, so happy to see that my fire has not completely been burned out, that I’m really human under everything. And what about Gu, what would he do? Would he spit on me? Or would he see me, so calm and content, and be jealous, so jealous that he forget all of his spite and lays next to me? I wish, I wish everyone could lay down next to me, my brother, my mother, and Hang, I wish they could share this peacefulness that I’m feeling right now.
Under the pretext that I forgot something, I went back to Chinh’s during the day, which is something I never do, just to see whether Hang was awake. When I went there, she was sound asleep. I asked Chinh whether she woke up at any time and he told me that he tried to wake her up an hour ago but she shooed him away. I could imagine it completely, Hang waking up irritated by Chinh’s voice, telling him to leave her alone, Chinh, looking at her with a sideways glance and then going back to whatever he was doing. “I’ll try to wake her up in a few minutes again, she has to eat something,” he then said. I told him he shouldn’t even think about, the girl needs some sleep and he had no right to deprive her of it. Anyways, the only reason why she came here was to do your dirty duty, we all know that. He looked at my surprised and said that he wouldn’t be using her for his plan, he said he had never even thought of it. He told me that he’s been saving up some money for this, and that he’s going to hire someone to do it for him. He said that he had sent for Hang when he was sick, but that she was only able to come once he got better. What a liar, what a dirty of liar, lying and spitting right in my face. Of course he saved up money, of course, who wouldn’t believe it? I mean, he is a high ranking communist official, and we all know that they respect the law, do not believe in using people. They are the representatives of moral good in our society, how could I forget! I left, there and then, or else I wouldn’t be able to hold myself from pointing out that he was lying to me, without even faltering one bit. Maybe if I had fished around, asked him a few questions about how long he’s been accumulating the money, which money he’s been accumulating and the exact reason why he’s never told us about this hidden treasure before he might have faltered, but I couldn’t be bothered. I was already thoroughly disgusted and could not handle any more Chinh.  
When I came back for dinner Hang was still asleep. Chinh had made us fried noodles. He looked very satisfied with himself the whole time.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder