26 Mayıs 2014 Pazartesi

Book Four of Virgil's Aeneid



I believe these presentations about the Aeneid would have been much more effective if they were not oral, but instead, everyone writing their summaries and epic similes and then putting them all together into a packet and passing them out. Personally, I hate oral presentations, I get exited while presenting and then end up forgetting what I wanted to say. Listening to other peoples oral presentations, especially about the Aeneid is a drag because I can’t follow all of the God’s and everything that happens between them by ear, thus I’ve forgotten practically everything anyone has told me before my book and afterwards. This is only my honest opinion, not that it has much power over what actually will end up happening in the future, but it may help in understanding my feelings about this project. 
The Book IV of the Aeneid, describes the relationship between Dido and Aeneas. In the beginning of the book, Dido has fallen in love with Aeneas thanks to Cupid’s bow, but does not know exactly what to do. She feels as though, by loving Aeneas, she is betraying her dead husband, Sychaeus, to whom she swore she would never marry again. Dido consults with her sister, Anna, who tells her that being together with Aeneas would improve the strength of Carthage. She also tell her that would not be betraying her husband because he is already dead. Dido completely sick with love agrees with her sister. Juno sees what sort of state love has put Dido in and pities her, so she consults with Venus in making a plan to get Dido and Aeneas together. Venus accepts but also knows the only reason why Juno would want to do this is to prevent Aeneas from going to Italy and fulfilling his destiny. Juno makes it so that there is a storm while they are all hunting, and she makes sure that Aeneas and Dido go into the same cave for shelter. Here, they make love and continue to be lovers once the storm is over, but rumors begin to spread that Dido is neglecting Carthage because of her love for Aeneas. Jupiter hears about the relationship between Dido and Aeneas and fears that Aeneas will not be able to fulfill his destiny so sends Mercury to remind him of what he must do. Aeneas decides to leave, but does not know how to tell Dido. She realizes herself that he is planning to go and blames him for ruining her reputation, but Aeneas does not budge, he is decisive in his decision to leave although he does pity her.
Dido is so angry and sick with love prays that a storm will thwart Aeneas’s trip to Italy, while also deciding to commit suicide. Mercury comes back to Aeneas to tell him to get going as fast as possible fi he wants to make it to Italy alive, and so Aeneas leaves before morning.  When Dido wakes up she sees their boats going and decides that the time has come to end her life. She tells her sister to make a fire and to throw in all of Aeneas’s belongings, claiming that she must do this in order to forget him. While her sister is gone, Dido stabs herself. When her sister finds her, Dido has still not died and tries to get up three times, but all three times falls back down in pain, and Juno pities her so she sends Iris to free her body and also take a lock of her hair.
The story described in Book IV reminds me of a vase filled with blood and white chrysanthemums in front of a black background. This is because it is both a very beautiful description of love, hence the white chrysanthemums, but also of grief and death, thus the blood in the vase in the place of water. I would love to make a video describing everything that happens in this book only using the blooming of flowers, blood, darkness and the wind. The flowers would bloom, white and pure, and then shrivel, becoming red and bloody, and then be blown out into the wind and land in a dark frothing ocean where they would be swallowed up by the waves. As music in the background I think I would put Fikret Kizilok and Bulent Ortacgil’s song Katerina, even though the lyrics do not describe exactly what is going on in this book I feel as though the rhythm and sound would compliment it perfectly. If I had a good hold on how to use a computer and animate my drawings I would attempt this, but unfortunately I do not have the sufficient software.
I am completely aware that I should have written this earlier and come with it printed out in order to not fall victim to my nervous and exited nature, but I didn’t think about it. I thought that I had a hold of the situation and that I would be able to confidently explain everything from the top of my head because I had read it only a week earlier, but I was wrong. Maybe if I had stayed in my seat it would not have been so bad, but it’s to late now, and I hope that this written document is sufficient proof that I actually know what I was supposed present.
Epic Similes :
p.85 , lines 90-97 “ Across the city…. Clinging to her side.”
p.88, lines 191-202 “Just as Apollo…. Face”.
p. 93, lines 402-408 “Her mind is helpless… clamor.”
p.98, lines 607-619 “As when, among the Alps…. Useless.”
p. 99, lines 641-653 “And in her dreams… squat.”              

                My Favorite Passage:
The passage about Rumour that is on page 89 between the lines 229 and 261.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder