11 Mayıs 2014 Pazar

Journal Entry: 2



It’s been exactly 2 years since I’ve come to Russia from Vietnam in order to study university. Exactly two years since I’ve left the warm soils of my ancestors for the cold and forbidding land of the Russians. I don’t really know what to think anymore, I guess I’ve gotten used to it. I’ve gotten used to eating Chinh’s stale noodles and chewy meat every night, I’ve gotten used to running an undercover business. It’s strange that when mother was alive, she made me promise to never become like those that stripped our family and whipped them on the streets in front of everyone, she begged me to keep an honest job. The last time I saw her, the day she was sending me off the Russia, I remember the tears in her eyes, the emotions she was trying to hold still in her porcelain wrinkled face, the pain and words she was holding back so that I wouldn’t worry for her. If only she had told us about her troubles, about the pains she must have been having in her stomach, before it was too late. I remember when my brother sent me a telegram, two weeks into starting school, telling me that mother had a cancer in her stomach, that there wasn’t much time.  By the time I came, it was too late. Now, every time I see anyone who has the same silk black hair and white emerald skin, anyone who carries those same eyes that knew so much, or smiles the way she did, I cannot help feeling a pang in my gut. I can’t help remembering her lying there on the bed, cold as ice, and her eyes, emptied from the life that once inhabited them so passionately when I left.
Today we just sold a new load, and are impatiently expecting Chinh’s new investment to bring fruit, the boat hasn’t come yet he says, he has a plan he says. We’ve been cornering him over and over again asking how he’s going to manage; he says we’ll see in a matter of days. He says he’s sure it will work, there’s someone who owes him a favor that will help. I can never know when to trust him, when his tiny calculating eyes are telling the truth. It’s especially hard to believe him because he is sick, how can a sick man make so many plans? Only the devil knows.
An hour ago I watched a group of officers beat a man to death because he was a bourgeois sympathizer. I watched them kick him until he puked blood, until he could no longer cry for help, and I sat there until he no longer twitched from each blow. I don’t know what has gotten into me; I can’t understand what I’ve become. I did nothing to save that man, all I did was watch. I felt no pleasure from it, but neither did I feel any pain, it was as though I were in a trance. I can feel, here in this foreign place so far from home,  I am slowly becoming the type of man that I hate. I feel it in my blood, I can sense it whenever I walk past a beggar and no longer feel anything. I am becoming cold in the heart, I feel as though I can no longer love. I wish I could die, I wish someone would kill me. I’m too much of a coward to take my own life, I’m to much of a coward to even save someone else’s. Maybe if I had stepped in they would have killed me to, if only. Where is this life I’m leading taking me? What is it turning me into to?
No news from Chinh.
No letters from home.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder